Friday 17 April 2015

Books before bread.


                                           Just a few of the books my Dad bought.


My dad believed in the spiritual and educational value of reading and put his money where his mouth was by buying a large collection of books for us to read as children when there was barely enough money to buy bread. A long long time has passed and I still haven't read them all. I keep promising myself to get on with it but there are so many things to do in life and so many other books.

My plan is now to decorate each book once I have read it. They are not valuable antiques and my children read via hand held devices and won't want to carry them through life as I have done.

In the spirit of adventure and creativity I intend to do these books justice by reading them and re-purposing them in a thoughtful, respectful and creative manner. Where possible, something on the new cover will reflect the story within. I'm going to be binding and gluing, using ribbon and found objects and photographing the results.

I welcome suggestions and pictures to spur me on.

Do you have some books that you don't need and would like to decorate. Have a look. You could use pages in decoupage and card making, or you could cut into them.

At The John Ryland's Library in Manchester - quite near to me - winning entries for bookbinding and re-modelling competitions are displayed for the public to admire. I might visit and be inspired.
Cutting into the books is also an option...requiring a plan, a steady hand and sharp tools.

I'll let you know how I go on.

manchester.ac.uk./library/rylands

No comments:

Post a Comment