Wednesday 29 April 2015

Needle felting - using multi needle tool




Making felt is such a pleasure. Watching a fabric being transformed right in front of your eyes into something else never loses its appeal. I use felt in my classes and would describe it as a forgiving fabric. It doesn't fray or need a hem, it can be manipulated, sewn onto and into, it comes in dozens of shades, kids love it and it looks and feels great. 

Making it is as varied a concept as using it. You can make felt with wool tops soap and water or you can felt woollen clothes in your washing machine. Felting needles enable you to make tiny detailed items with very little fuss and the smallest amount of material. you can felt wool onto lace and lace onto wool, you can make small items such as snowflakes or you can put designs on bags or jumpers. 

I will be returning to felting with my class soon and we will be looking at needle felting to make designs on purses. I don't have a video of me making felt but I've added links to two great sites. Once you watch them you'll be inspired to do it yourself.



Have a look and then try.

www.youtube.com/user/gypsyfelting
www.youtube.com/user/dharmatradingco


No comments:

Post a Comment